By providing us with your information you confirm that you are over 16 years of age. Shetland with Laurie (referred to as "we", "us" or "our" in this privacy notice) is the data controller and as such is responsible for your personal data.
1. Introduction This notice informs you of our policy regarding all information we hold and record about you. It sets out the conditions under which we may process any personal information that you provide to us. It covers information that could identify you ("personal information") and information that could not identify you. In the context of the law "process" means to collect, store, transfer, use or otherwise act on information.
We take the protection of your privacy and confidentiality seriously. We understand that all visitors to our website are entitled to trust that their personal information will not be used for any purpose unintended by them, and will not accidentally be transferred to a third party.
We undertake to preserve the confidentiality of all information you provide to us, and trust that you reciprocate. It is very important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if at any time your personal information changes by emailing us.
Legal name: Shetland with Laurie Email address:email@example.com Postal address: Shetland with Laurie, 45 Burgh Road, Lerwick, ZE1 0LA.
3. How we process information about you The law requires that we process personal information under one of six defined bases and to notify you of the basis for each category. If a basis on which we process your personal information is no longer relevant then we shall immediately stop processing your data.
If the basis changes then, if required by law, we shall notify you of the change and of any new basis under which we have determined that we can continue to process your information.
4. Information we process as a contractual obligation When you contact us about a service we provide as part of our business, create an account on our website (buy a product or service from us, or otherwise agree to our terms and conditions) a contract is formed between you and us. Any processing of information that may lead to a contract - e.g. contacting us to enquire about a service or product - is also processed in this way as it may lead to a contractual obligation.
In order to carry out our obligations under that contract we must process the information you give us. Some of this information may be personal information.
We may use it in order to:
verify your identity for security purposes
sell products to you
provide you with our services
provide you with suggestions and advice on products, services and how to obtain the most from using our website
We process this information on the basis there is a contract between you and us, or that you have requested we use the information before we enter into a legal contract.
Additionally, we may aggregate this information in a general way and use it to provide information to monitor our performance with respect to a particular service we provide. If we use it for this purpose, you as an individual are not personally identifiable.
5. Information we process with your consent Through certain actions when there is no contractual relationship between us, such as when you browse our website or ask us to provide you with more information about our business, products or services, you are providing your consent to us to process information that may be personal information.
Wherever possible, we aim to obtain your explicit consent to process this information. Sometimes you might give your consent implicitly, such as when you send us a message by email to which you would reasonably expect us to reply.
Except where you have consented to our use of your information for a specific purpose, we do not use your information in any way that would identify you personally. We may aggregate it in a general way and use it to provide information, for example to monitor the performance of a particular page on our website.
We continue to process your information on this basis until you withdraw your consent or it can be reasonably assumed that your consent no longer exists.
You may withdraw your consent at any time by instructing us, or by choosing to unsubscribefrom emails that we send you.
6. Information we process for the purposes of legitimate interests We may process information on the basis there is a legitimate interest, either to you or to us, in doing so. Where we process your information on this basis, we do so after having given careful consideration to:
whether the same objective could be achieved through other means
whether processing (or not processing) might cause you harm
whether you would expect us to process your data, and whether you would consider it reasonable to do so.
For example, we may process your data on this basis for the purposes of:
record-keeping for the proper and necessary administration of our organisation/business
responding to unsolicited communication from you to which we believe you would expect a response
protecting and asserting the legal rights of any party
insuring against or obtaining professional advice that is required to manage organisational/business risk
protecting your interests where we believe we have a duty to do so.
7. Information we process because we have a legal obligation We are subject to the law like everyone else. Sometimes, we must process your information in order to comply with a statutory obligation, such as HMRC tax or insurance obligations.
We may be required to give information to legal authorities if they request it or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order. This may include your personal information.
8. Sending a message via our website or contacting our support team When you contact us, whether by telephone, through our website or by email, we collect the data you have given to us in order to reply with the information you need.
We record your request and our reply in order to increase the efficiency of our business.
We keep personally identifiable information associated with your message, such as your name and email address so as to be able to track our communications with you to provide a high quality service.
9. Complaints regarding content on our website If you complain about any of the content on our website, we shall investigate your complaint. If we feel it is justified or if we believe the law requires us to do so, we shall remove the content while we investigate.
10. Complaints received about our business If we receive a complaint, we record all the information you have given to us. We use that information to resolve your complaint. If your complaint reasonably requires us to contact another party, we may decide to give that party some of the information contained in your complaint. We do this as infrequently as possible, but it is a matter for our sole discretion as to whether we do give information, and if we do, what that information is.
We may also compile statistics showing information obtained from this source to assess the level of service we provide, but not in a way that could identify you or any other person.
Use of information we collect through automated systems when you visit our website
Some examples of how cookies may be used:
to track how you use our website
to record what is held in a shopping basket
to record whether you have seen specific messages we display on our website
to record your answers to surveys and questionnaires on our site while you complete them.
12. Personal identifiers from your browsing activity Requests by your web browser to our servers for web pages and other content on our website are recorded.
We record information such as your geographical location, your Internet service provider and your IP address. We also record information about the software you are using to browse our website, such as the type of computer or device and the screen resolution.
We use this information in aggregate to assess webpage popularity and server performance. If combined with other information we know about you from previous visits, the data possibly could be used to identify you personally, even if you are not signed in to our website.
Disclosure and sharing of your information
13. Information we obtain from third parties Although we do not disclose your personal information to any third party (except as set out in this notice), we sometimes receive data that is indirectly made up from your personal information from third parties whose services we use. No such information is personally identifiable to you.
14. Service Providers We may use third-party service providers to process and store your data.
Access to your own information
16. Your Rights You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to receive further communication from us, please contact us.
17. Access to your personal information To obtain a copy of any information that is not provided on our website you may send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org. After receiving the request, we will confirm we have received your request and will provide you with the information within the 28-day period required.
18. Removal of your information If you wish us to remove personally identifiable information from our website, you may contact us at email@example.com. This may limit the service we can provide to you.
19. Verification of your information When we receive any request to access, edit or delete personal identifiable information we shall first take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access or otherwise taking any action. This is important to safeguard your information.
20. Links When you click on links on our website, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
21. Use of site by children We do not sell products or provide services for purchase by children, nor do we market to children. If you are under 18, you may use our website only with consent from a parent or guardian.
24. Retention period for personal data Except as otherwise mentioned in this privacy notice, we keep your personal information only for as long as required by us:
to provide you with the services you have requested;
to comply with other law, including for the period demanded by our tax authorities;
to support a claim or defence in court.
27. Further information on General Data Protection Regulations For up to date information on your rights under the General Data Protection Regulations, please check the website of the Information Commissioner: ico.org.uk.